Friday, September 24, 2010

Steve Howdle

Steve Howdle has been a pro fashion and advertising photographer for seven years and during that time he has won a string of awards including BIPP Fashion Photographer of the Year.

Steve quickly gained a reputation for stunning hair and beauty images that he creates for national and international clients such as BaByliss, Wella and Patrick Cameron.

As a class we had a chance to go to one of his talks at Dewsbury College.
This was sprung on us last minute and in all fairness I didn’t really want to go, just wanted to stop at college and get some work done. However I went of course and I’m so glad. It was inspiring to see his work and watch him set the studio up as if it was a real shoot.
The model had her hair and make-up professionally done so we got a better idea and it was more realistic.
I enjoyed watching the tutorial and he explained what equipment to use and why.

Before going into the studio he showed some of his existing work and explained how he got to the point he is at.
He also did a demo on how to edit and picture, with him talking pictures of hair for companies such as Babyliss he mentioned how he wasn’t allowed to edit the hair at all, leave all wispy bits in as they want it exactly how the hair dressers styled it.
He also mentioned on how he never over edits pictures just clears the skin up and that.
This is one of his pictures, and as he said to us and I mentioned “never over edits his pictures and just clears up the skin” well from my knowledge this image has clearly been over edited and it’s not just the skin that has been done either! Also to find out the information I mentioned first I went researching him and looking online. I also came across one of his web pages...
http://www.thorntonhowdle.com/page20/page20.html
On it I noticed he mentioned and I quote 'image is everything' clearly not as I feel for his professional level his web page is appalling.

Overall I’m glad I went other than the fact to criticize his work I actually learnt a few things such as how to light hair.
Depending on the colour of hair depends how much light you need, lighter the hair less light you need. The best lighting equipment to use is a silver brolly and to position it over the head, if the model was to have more hair at one side you face the brolly at that side.
Another source of lighting he used was a beauty-dish and he positioned it directly at front of the model to bring highlights and define features of the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment